View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 21:44   #8
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Just on this point - I've not heard of DVSA doing nose weight checks before, they generally carry axle scales now but not sure how they would measure nose weight? Has anyone any experience of doing this?

FYI the Mk1 XC90 has a maximum nose weight of 90Kg in the UK, in Australia the structurally identical car is rated 180 Kg and I think this is more to do with the legislation in some states of AU stipulating that the nose weight must be a minimum of 7% of the trailer weight.

I personally like to tow with a good nose weight and I think this aids stability - especially on Nivomat equipped cars. I'm sure I've gone over 90kg's on more than 10 occasions.

The penalties for overweight vehicles and trailers aren't actually that harsh, they are:

0.01 - 9.99% - £100
10%-14.99% - £200
15%-29.99% - £300
30% > - court summons & prohibition order

There is a 5% advised discretion but it is just that (i.e. overloads of up to 5% can be overlooked). They are non-endorsable penalties - i.e. no points on license.

FYI a Land Rover Discovery has a maximum nose weight of 250Kg.
You say no points , Well sort of You can still get points for operating a vehicle dangerous condition namely overloaded. A chap I know did .