View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 13:19   #14
xc90driver2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Back to the OP.... now the new model XC90's are 4-5 years old, good late examples of the Mk 1 model are much more affordable.

In that price range, whether a 2003 or 2013 model - I don't think there is any safer car on the road. And as has been mentioned - this is evident in the zero fatality statistics.

Part of this is the Mk 1 XC90 was one of the first cars with modern technology to prevent accidents which is the standard today - yaw sensors and ESP etc.

Bang for buck safety was pretty much the reason for buying the 2007 xc 90 at the time. I was looking for the safest car in my budget of 5k. I had it down to two options.

1. Mark 1 Vovlo XC90
2. Mark 1 VW Touareg

The Touareg was higher, heavier and had a slightly better moderate overlap result that the Xc90 . it nearly had me convinced.....

BUT

What swung it for me was the quite remarkable performance in the "small overlap test" of the mark 1 xc90 seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPL0Vi_8fiI

Incidentally, they did not perform that same small overlap test on the mark 1 Touareg but I would guess that it would not have got a "good" rating as the XC90 did.

Conclusion

The small overlap test was invented by IIHS well before the mark 1 xc90 was designed, which led me to the conclusion that Volvo had it factored this into its design despite not having to be formally tested for the world to see!

Kudos to them!
xc90driver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xc90driver2 For This Useful Post: