View Single Post
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 21:38   #3
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Hi. We are in Devon too, and the one question I think you should ask yourself before making a decision is "What sort of towing are you going to do"? I'll be a 'pensioner' next year too!! I'm 64 on Monday (15th).

I know yours is only a small van, (like our 2 berth) but it's where you are going to caravan that will relate to how much fuel you use. If you are constantly going up and down hills in Devon, Dorset etc, then you'll use the fuel. But on sites close to the M5/A30 say, you'll come off much better.

We have now set ourselves a 75 mile from home limit (150 mile round trip), and we stay on sites fairly close to major trunk roads to avoid silly expense.
There are SO many sites within that radius. I still have nightmares when we were on our way back from Weymouth on the back road via Chickerell to Bridport, with our last caravan. A 5 berth Elddis Avante. Even though I had my powerful Ford Scorpio Ultima 2.9 litre, we almost blew it up, as the hills were so severe. Fuel consumption was about 10mpg.

We got rid of the Elddis last year. Just got too expensive in fuel costs to tow for the small number of times we were using it. On some hilly journeys we were barely making 12mpg.

Using the 940 I am more than happy, and we get 28'ish mpg average when towing so I'd stay with it. Loads of room for all the extra bits too.

PS. Don't go to the site at Chivenor on the other side of the roundabout where the road goes down to RAF Chivenor. It's probably the worst site we've ever been on. I wouldn't put pigs there!