View Single Post
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 12:35   #10
AndyPants
VOC Member

Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
Im meeting up with the bloke tomorrow, in Rainham. See what his bodyshop says.

he definitely did not want to pay a grand minimum on repairing the car as "it's only a P-reg"

my next best guess is that he will want to settle with a lump sum or maybe try going through insurance. If it is an insurance job, it will be a high chance the insurance will want to scrap the car (i wont let them due to the sentimental attachment).
"the its only a p-reg" really annoys me, so what? Its your transport and he's the gimp that crashed into it! Had a similar thing said when a silly woman at my old works car parked reversed straight into a colleagues old Rover - why? cause she relied on the reversing sensors and was too lazy to move her stupid head! A prat with a Porsche who was probably her boss said its "only an old Rover" - which is completely besides the point! But then I suppose it doesn't take much imagination to buy a Porsche, so he was probably lacking in that regard....

I can see why you'd want to avoid insurance, but it does put you in a risky situation as effectively "its up to him".

Are you on third party of fully comp? If third party and its easy to prove he was at fault then in theory I would guess your car couldn't be written off anyway without your say so - as its your car and his insurance.

I would guess the main arguement would likely be which is cheaper, to repair or buy another 400 series in equivalent condition (which would also save some aggro) - although I vaguely remember you have sentimental value with this car also . To be honest the damage doesn't look too bad, but as often with these things theres the hidden nasties underneath as you describe.

Hope it all works out for you.