View Single Post
Old Dec 12th, 2023, 13:44   #241
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
That around about what I expected to hear and I'm glad to know it's achievable with that setup.

If I can get 25-30mpg routinely I'll be happy. The rortiness of the twin carb engine with pancake filters is quite addictive!

Can I ask what sort of 0-60 figure you estimate you get with the 4.1 & OD? Is it slouchy or do you feel like it compares reasonably well with modern traffic?
… you asked about 0-60 figures for the Amazon; I’ve never tested it but it would not be fast - I’d take a SWAG at about 15 seconds.

This time of year I use the silver wheels with 175/60 section winter tyres (M&S, not really proper winter tyres), which lower the gearing back to what it would have been with a 4.56:1 rear axle. That makes the motor car noticeably more spritely and it keeps up with traffic really well (I’ve even overtaken a few cars - and no, they were not just milk floats).

In the summer I use the red wheels (same pattern as yours) with 165/80 section tyres, just like your motor car the gearing is about 7% higher than standard. I think the taller gearing is pretty good, acceleration is still at least good enough to keep up with old people driving Fiestas to the golf links. With the 165/80 tyres high speed (70 MPH) cruising is much better than with standard gearing, which is a huge advantage for longer journeys.

In conclusion: I think your Amazon should be able to keep up with modern traffic pretty well.

Alan