Thread: MoT time again
View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 21:33   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_EG_940 View Post
I'll definitely be looking at Conti/Goodyear/Pirelli instead next time.

I'm going to order some heater valves on eBay and see how I get on - I'll make a post about it, but maybe when it's a little warmer...

Thanks!
Dunlop and Goodyear are out of the same stable James so i wouldn't bother with Dunlop, Conti - be very careful, they're a popular tyre and there are a lot of fakes out there! Not so much these days but when i found i had a pair of fake Contis on my car (bought secondhand from ebay) and mentioned it to a friend, i discovered the firm he worked for were having to re-tyre their whole fleet because every one of their vehicles had fake Contis on, from the factory no less!

They were lorry tractor units as well so that's a lot of tyres per vehicle!

Pirelli in a lot of ways have fallen from favour with the general buying public which means there are fewer fakes around, i've always found them to be a good tyre but i've also found that regional variations because of the road surfaces used have changed peoples perceptions of them.

However, back to the Goodyears. There was a thread last year about them cracking up and it turns out they should be guaranteed for 5 years - worth digging out your receipt and maybe invoking the guarantee. I'll try and find that thread and post a link to it, the OP of that thread did in fact get his money back from the supplier - no explanation though so we never found out why they had cracked up!

Also consider Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun tyres for your beast, not the cheapest but a very good tyre. I've had a set for about 5 years now and no signs of cracking, still perform well too.

Good news on the MoT, i suspect the B&M Catalyst exhaust bits were in fact "Euroflo" branded - good but cheap and sometimes need fettling to fit. Do the job for not much wallet pain!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote