View Single Post
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 13:36   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
You cannot judge by mileage alone. Someone might do a lot of motorway miles and therefore rarely use the brakes and they will last longer. The same mileage in city driving will clearly wear out the brakes faster... and track driving will wear them out even quicker.

It also depends on the pads you fit. I use the volvo police pads on the front which don't last as long as the standard volvo pads given the same amount/type of driving for example.
I agree , and also worth remembering that it is not compulsory to press that brake pedal all the time , there are other methods . One way of wearing them out i have seen many times . There is a one mile straight on a downhill slope going down to the motor way . Two lanes going down . 50 mph speed limit . every morning big new ( mainly German ! ) cars are hammering down there at 70 mph and brake for a long time before the roundabout . Every morning i try and count how many seconds they are braking at about 60% pressure . 30 seconds is common ! Multiply that by 360 times a year in just that one place and you can see where the brake material goes . Brake wear is directly proportional to useage.