View Single Post
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 21:29   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
It's also possible the weather may have some bearing on how fast disks wear.
If the disks get wet and then stand, a thin layer of rust will form on the surface. The next time the brakes are applied, this layer should get rubbed off.

If the car stands for any length of time then the disks can start to pit so deterioration can be much higher on a little used car than one might expect based on mileage alone.

Since the rear brakes seldom work as hard as the front ones and with gentle braking, they probably do very little, this means any rust takes longer to wear off. so the rear disks tend to pit more rapidly than the front ones in my experience.

Martin
That is a valid point , you see cars which are seldom used with their wheels encrusted with iron dust as every time they are used the pads scrape off the rust . It is only in recent years that discs are rusting like crazy , back in the days of the 140 and 240 discs would last indefinitely they did not rust and pads would last 70,000 miles , there was certainly more chrome or whatever they use in the disc material . and yes , the volvos then were used at least as hard and as far if not more than current volvos .
Regarding the rear brakes not doing much , in fact it is the opposite since about 12 years ago when at light load the rear brakes do most of the work . That's why they are always shiny now, shedding dust over the rear wheels also, rather than a black pitted appearance on the 240 and 900 volvos .