Old Dec 24th, 2018, 10:18   #539
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
Beware.

See:

www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2428940

my post #9 re the power of galvanic action.

The VP-Autoparts clips, judging by their pic, seem to have a (rubber/plastic?) layer back and front of the square head. There may be a good reason for this: To insulate them electrically from the trim strip? I am guessing.

The trim strips of the Amazon (at least mine) were provided with spring clips throughout the length, including at the ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Simon;

I won't dispute the power (literally, as in electrical...!) of Galvanic Corrosion, but in the case of your those secondary rust areas in the linked thread, at the end of the chrome strip (not at the hole!) I would expect the rust was started as a result of the trim having damaged the paint (just as the clips damaged the paint at the edges of the holes) so that moisture could get to the underlying sheetmetal and go to work...I wonder how much the fact that Trim is SS and sheetmetal is steel contributed?

Cheers
Thanks for your comments chaps - part of my plan is to go for the kinky rubber option I've got in my head (!) so I'm hoping there will be sufficient isolation between the parts...

...I've also got a series 2a Land Rover so I've seen what dissimilar metal corrosion can do.

EDIT:- I did have a good link explaining not only the dissimilar values between metals but also how the inclusion of a conductive element (such as sitting water) is a vital part of the system - but as usual - I can't find it now
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Dec 24th, 2018 at 10:20.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote