View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 21:03   #4
john langrick
Master Member

As an after comment..

My £2000 expense was just over a year ago. This year then I had a service and mot but nothing else. So I have had a year motoring since and hope to be ok until next MOT . (July 2021). So I recon my car will have cost me £1200 for a year, no depreciation.

I have a friend who hires a new electric car, £320 per month. Although it is newer, less running cost.. I prefer mine and it can tow my dinghy and trailer. And is very comfortable. If it snows this winter I know will be no problem. My friend's car cost him close to £4000 per year…. A lot to pay for a newer reg...

So really at our my, if it works and i like it, then I plan to hang on to it. My kids have much more modern cars but grandkids love my xc90, even I a couple have to sit in row 3. They sit so high and youngest loves the middle seat row 2 with booster.

Newer car needs depreciation factored into the annual running cost. A car of our age has literally no depreciation.

If you are selling many cars of 'our age' will be advertised usually with known problems and owners take a gamble on true problems. People may bid more and you may be lucky with a purchaser but at 18 years old it remains a chance. The only thing you can be sure of is that it looks good internally and externally and has a reasonable service record.

Hope this helps...
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post: