View Single Post
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:54   #19
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You've missed something somewhere Jon - the problem is the whole backing board is sagging in the area of the interior light. Not the material but the board, which on later 9xx models appears to be corrugated cardboard, as opposed to the thick, stiff cardboard used on 7xx models.

I have a similar problem now i've fitted a headliner from a 960 to my 760, however that's because there's a small clip that is meant to hook into the cross-brace or the bottom of the sunroof liner and i missed it when putting the new one in.
I've suggested to David that perhaps this hook/clip is missing on his and he's checked and it would appear to be the case. Hence faffing about with plastic box section and double-sided foam tape.
It seems (from what i can glean from David) that the tape he's used, while incredibly strong is also very thin - approx 0.6mm and that the roof is covered internally in some form of anti-rust coating.
My guess is the coating is nowhere near as smooth as the average painted surface so the tape isn't able to adhere to it.

I've suggested several thickness of tape to build up the compliance of the tape so it has more of a chance of adhering to the uneven surface of the coating, whether he will try this or not i don't know.
Just a small point Dave, the 3M VHB tape I used is 1.1mm thick, I intend to try and clean as much as possible the inside of the metal to the roof (access through the light hole) then try the tape again, David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post: