View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 21:25   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Wont the op's handling change, what with more tyre roll if changing to a higher profile?

Ive always preferred the 225/45/17.

Most of the Lagunas i have had come with that size apart from the last, a 1.9 Privilege 2004 model, that came with 205/60/16, most certainly not as planted in the cornering, quite wallowy. That felt so different to the Lagunas with the 225/45/17, also had an 08 2.0 Dynamique (saloon) on 215/55/16, again, could feel the difference in handling compared to the other remaining 3 estates, 2 dynamiques and one Initiale, all 1.9's. I was born in 72 and a bit of speed freak when the dogs aint in the car, having those 2 cars on the smaller wheels/tyres most certainly changed my driving style, as much to say, it slowed me down, then i decided to try the Volvo again

One question, would a smaller wheel/tyre size have less rubber touching the ground? if so, would that have any affect on traction/braking?
The handling will probably be better with the lower profile tyres, so there may be a slight change in the handling by putting bigger tyres on. Its not a sports car though, so it probably won't make much of a difference around normal roads. Higher profile tyres offer more comfort because there's more of a sidewall between the tyre & the road. However, a higher profile tyre is heavier & the rolling resistance may increase as a result, meaning more fuel is used (In theory, but not always the case).

Decent brand tyres like Michelin for example have developed higher profile tyres with minimal rolling resistance. For example, a 17" Michelin Primacy 4 tyre has a 'B' rating for fuel consumption. Lets use a 19" tyre like the original poster has on his/her vehicle currently as another example... A Michelin Pilot Sport 4 19" tyre has an 'E' rating for fuel consumption. So the lower profile tyre is actually worse on fuel (Hence why I said "in theory above"). So it shows, its important to research! I can't stand low profile tyres & would never have them on a vehicle again, but that's just me & I know many do like them.

Smaller wheels with tyres to match have less rubber touching the ground - The grip & braking is better, but they aren't as comfortable as a higher profile tyres.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 5th, 2020 at 21:35.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote