Thread: General: - Alkylate fuel in classic cars?
View Single Post
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 09:33   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinvolvo View Post
Alkylate is a gasoline blending component made by joining isobutane and butylene or propylene. The result as a branched paraffin which, as the posting says, has no aromatics or olefins. This makes it a very stable product and indeed it probably has cleaner burning characteristics as well as much lower oxidation potential in storage. A fraction of this historically was used as aviation grade gasoline. Here in the states, i dont believe it is readily available as a stand alone product. If it was, I would probably consider it for use in lawn mower, etc as a winter fill that would not need stabilizer. I think it would be impractical to fuel a car with something you have to buy in gallon jugs at 3X the cost of gasoline.

Dean
Thanks for your comments Dean

It is indeed an expensive option (at the moment). I've yet to do the calculations but after say a lead replacement additive and a fuel stabaliser and then an anti-ethanol additive perhaps the gap in price isn't too bad if you buy in bulk.

I think it would only ever be useful for owners who don't drive very far each year.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote