Thread: Tyres
View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 11:58   #3
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0404 View Post
My tyres need replaced on my xc90 2017 model so looking for some recommendations - what have people put on that giveva good ride and quiet ride?
Anyone actually tried the Michelin CrossClimate tyres as considering these. I’m from Scotland so do get snow and rain and temperature in the summer is high teens to low 20’s
OK, trying to be as brief as possible here, coming particularly from a road noise perspective.

Cutting a long story short, there is a huge thread on here which I started 2 years ago regarding noise on 20" wheels. In summary I and others were very unhappy with the amount of road noise on 2016 and MY2017 XC90's on 20" wheels. I complained to Volvo and my dealer and at 7.5k had the (standard at the time) Conti tyres replaced by Conti Silents, at Volvo and the dealers expense. In addition, Volvo did some B-pillar modifications for later models and those who had earlier models and complained. Essentially admitting there was a road noise issue.

The Conti Silents and mods were an improvement, but refinement still wasn't great. The tyres did about 16k for me at which point all 4 were worn and needed replacements. I replaced with Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Acoustic, which were bloody expensive at the time, but what an improvement. Switching to Michelin made the biggest difference of all, and now I do not have an issue with road noise at all. It's not as quiet as some (namely the Q7), but its not bad, and I certainly don't have an issue with it at all.

Not the huge 20" wheel thread, but this thread is worth a read.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post: