Thread: Tyres
View Single Post
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 13:52   #7
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Interested to know what evidence you have to suggest durability is low?
Like you, I was also convinced that these tires made sense from all the reviews I read back in 2017. But I had a set fitted on my car that lasted only 30.000km. The heat actually bust them up. But when I mean heat, I mean real heat that you feel in the alps or in southern countries during the summer. So this is why I say that if you use these tires in the UK for most of it's lifespan, you will be ok. The fact of being summer tires does not actually mean that they can stand real heat. The profile of the tire changed completely with the heat and I had a rolling noise that was unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Reason I ask is I'm looking to move to cross climate tyres next winter for trips to the alps as they'll work out cheaper than a second set of winters on alloys.
It makes sense but do so when the tires are relatively new. They loose the grip on the snow after 25k to 30k km. But these are much cheaper than having a second set of winter tires if you do occasional trips to the alps and they work very well with rain and moderate climate.

When you have them newly fitted on your car, you test them and they work. They work on the snow, they work well as summer tires. They work as advertised and as reviewed by all the sites you can find. But then they just stop working a bit sooner than expected. In my case, with the investment of a set of winter/summer tires I would have saved 50% if you look into a 3 year investment lifespan. And that's the real problem.

Last edited by jonnyu; Feb 19th, 2019 at 13:57.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote