Thread: Amazon: - My Amazon on a rolling road
View Single Post
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 07:54   #18
Brian M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Brian
That's fair enough. The KN is the standard needle for B20b but that would have had a C cam. The KD is gradually richer from tick over compared to the KN. If you have the new measurements and are willing to share them I'll look them up to see if they match or closely compare to a listed needle.
You can send the numbers via pm if you wish. As I said it will give you useful info when it comes to replacement. It might give others ideas too. Paul has expressed interest I see. I hope you'll post.
I previously wrote that I had a D cam, but on checking my original invoice (from 2001) I see it was a B20B cam. (C type)

I am afraid I didn't note the actual reading on the micrometer, I was watching that the number didn't change as he went round the needle, and that the second needle was the same, and didn't see the measurement before he shaved it so I don't know how much was taken off. I don't think it was much and it was at the bottom 3cm of the needles.

I hadn't thought of any replacement problems and have to admit I relied on the apparent expertise of the rolling road guy. He did tell me that he had a "modelling lathe" and could have turned a needle if he was starting from a needle that was further away in size from the size he felt was right for the car.

Brian M
1970 Volvo Amazon and 1978 Safari 14/2
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote