View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2006, 21:54   #10
peteS40

Yeah you're right, I can get mintex or ATE discs for £50 the pair, no labour as that won't take me long to do myself. Disc thickness was as low as 7.5mm according to my micrometer, the book says 8.4mm is the limit.

Pads are very new so I won't change them unless I really have to.

And yep, if someone said "pay that £50 for 2 new discs and it'll solve your problem" I'll do it like a shot.

But the thing is, what if it is new pads = £50, 2 new calipers = £80 each, 4 new pads = £30 and the problem is STILL there... do you see how that would hack me off, because I'd no doubt do it all in stages as well, i.e 2 discs - nope problem still there... change a caliper, nope still there.... etc.

The other thing that hacks me off is the discs must have been worn like this before I got the car. Did the RAC inspection pick it up? No. Did the b*****d garage who fitted the rear pads before I got it pick this up? No. I'm not saying they should have visually been able to tell but neither could I, but I thought "hmmm, those discs look near their limit might need changing soon..." then I checked and they needed changing beforehand. So why didn't anyone else think that? I'll tell you why, because the garage thought "hmmm... those discs might need changing soon, lets hope that mug buying this shed doesn't realise" and the RAC inspection man thought "hmmm... those discs need changing soon, I'd better ask for a larger bung in order to pretend I didn't notice".

Pete

BTW I am with the AA, although as it happens not because of the RAC-inspection-that-never-was.