View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 18:19   #6
keithC70

Well I've still not managed to solve this problem on my '53 108k XC90. Any more ideas anyone?

If I accelerate from standstill with my foot hard to the floor I hear and feel a loud vibrating/knocking/juddering sound which I thought might be a cv joint. It stops as soon as you ease off the throttle.

I've had a good look and brakes, backplates etc are free and clean, wheel bearings seem fine with no play and no sound or rumble when you turn them, and I can't find anything loose on either drive shaft or anywhere else.

The propshaft won't turn unless one of the front wheels is off the floor so I think my 4wd is working ok.

Also, sometimes when I start the engine and sometimes when I stop it, I hear one loud metallic knock (seems more noticeable in passenger footwell), so I suspected engine mounts.

I've already changed the top engine mount and the lower torque mount to the gearbox.

Front and back mounts both look fairly new but there's a rubber block on the passenger side between the frame and gearbox that looks worn and loose - anyone know if this should be tight?

The one on the driver's side seems tight but looking from underneath, the base of the mount sticks out over the edge of the frame - anyone know if this is right?

I've checked and there are no DTCs.

Otherwise it drives fine without any knocks or rattles. I don't normally hear this but from time to time when you need to get out into traffic quickly is when it happens.

Any ideas please - it's driving me mad?