View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 15:19   #1
bazzer30
bazzer30

Default P1221 fault?? fuel pressure pump

Hi all
I really hate my volvo v40, it looks good, feels good but it always has some little issue, (bring back my old civic all is forgiven).
The latest saga; I refueled the car on Sunday afternoon, It was very near empty and I filled it to the top. When I started it, the rev counter went a bit mad i.e. we went from 500rpm to about 3000rpm maybe 2 or 3 times then stalled. I waited a few moments for everything to settle and started again with no problem, about a mile out the road I started to lose power and the car, the engine management computer light came on and i pulled in and towed the car home.
It has refused to start since! At first I was not overly alarmed thinking its probably just dirt in the petrol (I did check that I put petrol in). The local garage (not a main dealer) has subsequent to changing the plugs assured me that petrol is coming to the engine and I do have a spark, so he tried the diagnostic computer which gave him a p1221 fault. He has no details on that fault and is unwilling to do any more to the car. The Volvo garage tells me it might be a fuel pressure pump problem but won't commit till they do their own diagnostic. Either way it sounds expensive! has anybody experienced this before? Is the fuel pressure pump a common problem?.

Any body interested in buying a 2002 v40 1.8i GDI engine

barry