View Single Post
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 23:55   #1
Russell_S

Default Another Headlight Issue

Hi, hopefully someone can give me some guidance here regarding my 2002 S40.

The other day my O/S dipped headlight stopped working and I naturally thought it was just a blown bulb (regular occurrence). Anyway, tonight I went to change the bulb and found that it hadn't blown after all. So, I've measured the voltages and found that with the headlight connector disconnected from the bulb I only get about 10v on the red wire whereas on the N/S one I get about 14v (when disconnected from bulb). However, if I connect the faulty side back up again the voltage drops to 0v on the red wire. The diagram in the Haynes manual bears no resemblance to the headlight wiring in my car at all.

Anyway, I gave up tonight and searched these forums and found out about the CEM and the problems it can give. Is there a separate output for each headlight from the CEM and if so could I just wire the two headlights up in parallel connected to the working output or would this overload the working one.

One other odd thing is that I've always had DRL's on my volvo and I didn't even know they could be disabled. However, I noticed tonight as I was packing up that the headlights are no longer on with the switch in the "0" position. So the DRL is now disabled but this is not due to anything I've done it has done it itself. Would this indicate a problem with the CEM as well or something else.

Thanks for any advice

Russell
Russell_S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russell_S For This Useful Post: