View Single Post
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 18:26   #2
Pashabg

As far as I am aware, the only possible position of the amp on the S60 P2 model is under drivers seat. That is where mine is. If I am correct, the speakers are 8 ohm, connected in parallel, so the amp (internal in head unit or external) sees them as 4 ohm. If you plan to replace the head unit with aftermarket one and you leave the speakers the way they are you shouldn't have a problem. If you meter the impedance of the speaker itself, you get 8 ohm, nut if you meter it at the speakers outputs on the back of the head unit you would most likely get 4 ohm, because of the parallel connection. Even at 8 ohm, they shouldn't damage anything. The issue would be loss of power. Higher impedance means more power needed to drive the and less impedance means the amp will output more power but also generate more heat and this case you are risking a damage to the amp.

Not sure why you would want to replace the shelf speakers. Regardless of whether you are after sound quality or sound power you would be better off (and to me it seems easier) with sub woofer. If you don't want to take space in the trunk, then I would go with just quality component set in the front and nothing on the rear. I am saying this as someone who installed one component set in the front and one in the rear, both powered by external amp and was very sorry after this. I removed the rear ones and sold them. Just front and sub is the optimal option in my opinion, unless you have sound processor and the ability to cut the frequencies on the rear for just bass and nothing else.
Pashabg is offline   Reply With Quote