View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 09:24   #3
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Hey, Dave, many happy returns to you and yours for 2019!

Fortunately, in my personal opinion, our cars were over engineered so we don't have a great deal to complain about

If you slacken off the retaining screws/bolts that hold the alternator in place, one or two revolutions should do, and if you can get a copper mallet or engineers hammer to the head of the bolt before you completely remove the screw/bolt, that should release the captive/tapered nut on the other side of the bracket that will be pressed against the alternator housing. This should make for easy removal/refitting otherwise it will prove difficult!

Given your experience the rest should be child's play!

Good luck!
Many thanks Liam.. I appreciate your reply..

Yes, I certainly agree about the over engineering of these cars. That's why I want to hang on to the old gal as long as possible if I can.

Its a pity I can't say the same about my memory.. its not doing my experience with these motors any favours. The last time I did any major engine work was in the late Jan/early Feb of 2015. If my memory isn't playing tricks I'm sure I had to get the steering pump out of the way.. and that's definitely something that looks like the brackets were especially fashioned for getting the Audi/Vag motor into the Volvo.

Still, I'll succeed, I always do, and the alternator hasn't done bad. Its probably the original on 260,000 miles +.

If you want a laugh re my Tdi and its French experiences.. my mammoth thread on engine wrecks is here..

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85720

Many thanks again.. Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote