View Single Post
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 19:15   #7
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tom Cobley View Post
My 2004 V40 Airbag light has just started to come on.

As widely suggested the first thing I did was to check the wires under the seat, as these are the most common faults. Regrettably this has not resolved the problem.

The next step was to identify and clear the diagnostic codes (thank you very much davebb) hoping they would not return. Unfortunately this hasn’t worked either.

The fault codes were 017C, 017D and 0001 are exactly those Gatos identified for mobym back in January 2015 under ‘Airbag Fault Codes’. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222132

The first code suggests there is a problem with the wire between the central locking unit and the control module. I’ll need to find where is this central locking unit although this unit works and has never otherwise posed a problem.

The second indicates a fault between the seat belt reminder (presumably the blinking light at the top of the windscreen) and the control module although again this reminder unit works and has always to my knowledge functioned correctly.

The third code however appears to be the most critical as it seems no other trouble codes can be removed until this one has been cleared. So obviously this one needs to be done first and this maybe accounts for why the other two did not clear.

My first step will be to remove the central panel to access the control unit, unfortunately the pictures have gone from Gatos Guide (what would we do without him?) but may not be too difficult to figure out. I’ll start by cleaning all the contacts; the problem may be as simple as that. Failing that it appears the module will need replacing. Would anybody know whether this module is common to any other years or is a used one likely to need to come from a 2003/4 S40/V40 in case I do need to get one?

Thanks.

M.
Hi Michael
how are you getting on with your car
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote