View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 11:21   #29
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I think it’s difficult to ‘prove’ flushes do something one way or another. I had a very high milage cavalier once that drove superbly. Never used a drop of oil and I used an engine flush. Post flush the engine lost quite a lot of oil immediately and I ended up replacing all the valve stem oil seals.

Now the flush didn’t ‘ruin’ my engine. It probably did what it said which was to get rid of old deposits. Unfortunatly along side sludge it also puts gums over seals and stems etc and that what I believe it removed. My worth flush also says not to use on engines above 100k.

It all becomes a bit of a mine field. My XC90 was bought at 68k with yearly history however the oil was always pretty direct so I used a flush and then change every 6K.

To me at 68k with its history I believe all seals and such were ok and that varnish would not be preventing leakage. At 168k I wouldn’t use it.

By far the only way to reduce all risk of damage, and to get the engine clean is not to use a flush but rather to change and drain after 1,000 miles.

Incidentally I don’t believe any manufacturer supports flushing oils.
I think that's probably the biggest effect - doing what it says on the tin and removing gunk when the engine's effectively being sealed by gunk!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post: