View Single Post
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 13:24   #176
FastBricks
Volvo invented seatbelts

Thank you. I tried undoing the nut and at the moment it clicks and moves the sensor position hub in the photo attached to the end of the cam but does not come unstuck.

I have applied WD40 and left it over night while I build the camshaft locking tool. I will try again to release it again today.

I was going over the Haynes book and it mentions removing the auxiliary belt before removing the timing belt (under the timing belt change instructions).

As I am only changing the VVT (the belt was changed last year), if I lock the cams and I just want to move the timing belt off a little from the old VVT pulley so I can fit the new VVT pulley in its place, isn't it unnecessary to remove the auxiliary belt?

Also does the auxiliary belt need to be marked and timed with the timing belt? To me it seem s like the aux belt can be removed and reinstalled without any big concern for its positioning apart from its routing. Provided the crank shaft does not move out of position while I work on the cams I suspect there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your answer by the way, I was stuck, so you made my day. I think I might actually be able to pull this repair off now
FastBricks is offline   Reply With Quote