Thread: Steering: - loose steering wheel
View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2013, 17:20   #14
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhomes View Post
There is play in my steering wheel turning the wheel in both directions approximately 1/4". I brought my 2004 XC90 to the dealer to have the steering wheel bolt tightened and they told me that it was not the that but I needed a new steering rack. I already replaced the steering rack 5 years ago. How is it possible that a $53,000.00 car needs a steering rack every 5 years? Maybe my problem is as simple as tightening the bolt on the wheel. Any thoughts?
Would try that first.

Having used this forum to find out information on how to replace my intercooler rad, and how to fix my loose steering wheel on my Volvo xc90. I thought I would give something back by posting how I fixed the loose steering wheel.
First I disconnected the battery and removed the upper cover on the steering column– nice and easy just clips off
Use the steering column adjustment lever to extend and lower the steering wheel to give you a little more space to work
There are two small holes located at the back of the steering wheel (need to turn wheel a quarter turn to access the holes)
Now place a smallish flat head screw driver into the hole.
What you are trying to do is release a spring loaded clip, the clip is a circular spring with part of the spring cutting through the diameter/centre of itself.
There are two bolts which are fixed to the back of the airbag/horn pad, and the two cone shaped bolts have a lug which slide inside the centre of the spring and the piece of the spring cutting through the centre latches into the corn shape blots, this is what you are trying release!
(of course you can’t see any of this, until you have removed the airbag/horn pad! )
Push screw driver in as far as pos. then push up on the screw driver handle which will lower the end of the screwdriver (like lifting a lever) hopefully this should compress the spring and release corn shape bolt. You need to be pulling on the airbag/horn pad module at the same time. Repeat with the other bolt. Lots of fiddling/ trial and error it should work!
The large nut holding the wheel in place was so loose that I could undo it with my fingers!
Worrying fault- I thought volvo’s were meant to be safe!!
I will up load some photos which I hope will help

Last edited by GJB; May 1st, 2013 at 17:24. Reason: Extra info
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post: