Thread: Engine: B5244: - Vibration
View Single Post
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 14:16   #11
kymg

So the other day I took the car to a mechanic to see if another set of ears could locate the vibration. Initially it was suggested by them when I had some other work done that it could be engine mounts. I figured that if the car was on the hoist it might relieve some load and identify the problem. No such luck.

Anyway the mechanic suggested that it sounded like it was coming from the serpentine belt tensioner - you know, the one I just replaced. He suggested that on past experience with another Volvo the serpentine belt was a tad too short and that caused the tensioner to be under too much 'tension' and this caused it to vibrate.
Please note that I replaced the tensioner and the belt with a Conitech kit from FCPEuro.

So the vibration remains. Sounds awful inside the car and bloody awful outside.

The vibration occurs when the AC is either on or off.

The harmonic balance could be an option. I imagine that starts to get a little more complicated to repair.

I really don't want to have to go and replace every likely suspect one by one. That could get a bit exxie given the things the belt goes around.

One day I will get to the bottom of this. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.
kymg is offline   Reply With Quote