View Single Post
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 21:05   #6
Simon J
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
With it all being done via the towing module would there not be a safeguard incorporated in the electronics of the module. The whole consept of these modules is control, and electronic control is far easier achieved than by physical relays.

Paul.
The trouble is, we don't know what the towing module actually does apart from make the physical connections to the 13 pin socket and handle reversing sensors, rear fog light and dash warning lights. My testing is very basic - a multi meter on pin 10 and earth. It may be that with a load on pin 10, from a fridge, for example, the trailer module cuts the power until the engine is started and the alternator is operating. But I simply want to use pin 10 to operate a relay to switch in the trailer battery to charge on pin 9, and as currently configured, the trailer batter would be connected to the car battery while operating the starter motor - not ideal.

So perhaps I'll have to fit a voltage sensitive relay to pin 10 to make sure the trailer battery doesn't connect to the car battery circuit until the engine is running.