View Single Post
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 12:56   #18
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
You are absolutely correct. With active main beams you can do that. With active dipped beams you cant. I have the latter. Volvo told me that the latter complied, yet it failed a french mot when i was reregistering it in france for the reasons given in my other post. You wont have a problem. The problem is volvo have no fix for the active dipped neams like mine. They made things worse by removing the headlight level adjustment wheel on my model which could solve the problem quite easily.
While i am at it, the speedo does not show kph except for a pathetic little display about the size of a 5 p coin on the rhs of the digital display accessed by turning the left hand stalk. I had to do a low tech fix with stick on numbers from letraset stuck onto the speedo. You can change all the other units to metric, but not the speedo. All this from a car that has the computing power of the european space station. The swedish designer who designed that must have been on the pi ss the night before. Its like buying a table from ikea with out the screws to hold it together. Volvo customer services cannot even tell me which model is fitted with what feature! I worked all this out myself. Why cant they?
They probably failed the Controle Technique because the lights, even though they may be changed from RHD to LHD, or vice versa, (temporarily), are still specific items for the market, i.e a RHD car has lights that flick up on the left, while LHD cars have lights that flick up on the right.
On my xc70 I have to pull out the headlights and move a lever within the bulb housing to 'convert' them. All this does is blank out the 'flick' that shines at the kerb and leaves you a flat topped beam which means visibility is much reduced to the nearside, particularly above waist height.

I did mention it on another post you left but, in case you didn't see it, you can ask your dealer to change your principal speedo output to kph, instead of mph (with secondary then becoming mph). It is just a matter of changing software - I believe I was quoted 30-40 euro when I looked into taking my Belgian car back to UK for a couple of months. I guess it depends how often you take it back to UK.
In the end I opted to just activate the secondary display because, as standard, Volvo Belgium don't give you that option - it's a long story but took months to find out how to do that.

Last edited by 1monkey600; Jul 16th, 2018 at 12:58.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote