View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2017, 14:55   #6
diro

I mentioned in other thread that DPF issues can affect the condition of the whole engine and turbo what may cause massive oil consumption.

Car owners with DPF must remember its not that much matters oil viscosity like 0w30 or 5w30 for the high mileage cars but a spec. Personally I prefer to use 5w30 for the higher mileage car (80k+) which will not do any harm to the engine. There is no very low subzero temperatures in the UK. I noticed engine was running smoother and much quieter with 5w30.

Cars equipped with DPF must use low/mid SAPS engine oil. For Example Castrol 0w30 C3, 5w30 C1, C2, C3 or equivalent other brand low saps engine oil.

Other spec oil will result DPF failure. It will not come next day but it will come eventually. Besides many motorists don't even know what exactly oil was used due the service intervals. Garages especially indies can wright whatever they want in the invoices but in fact you never know.

I personally change oil every 10k miles or once per year. And do it myself all the time.

When I bought XC90 DPF and EGR been deleted. It was 132k on the clock. Previous owner already had to change turbo and perform DPF regen few times. I never had oil consumption issues. Had to top up about 0.5l within oil change intervals.