View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 22:56   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
Hi Dave, no I haven't cant see how that would account for the squish?
One thing that has come to mind is that before doing any work I noticed that when stopped at the lights say, and holding the car with the brake, the pedal would hold position for a while then slowly sink a bit, hold that position then sink again. Master cylinder??
I think you've just found the problem Myron! That's fairly typical of a going/gone master cylinder.

As for why the pushrod out of adjustment accounting for the squish, inside the master cylinder there are two pistons, connected mechanically by a spring but hydraulically as well. If the first piston can't move through its full range of travel because of incorrect adjustment/wear in the mechanism between the pedal and pushrod, there's a chance the spring is the only connection between the front (primary) and rear (secondary) pistons with the front piston being nearest the driver. Usually when the secondary piston moves, besides moving brake fluid down the pioework, it displaces fluid into the void between the two pistons.

I'm not explaining it very well but i think you see where i'm going with this?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: