View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 17:07   #28
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
You also have to remember, the T5 is a fast cruiser, it's not meant to be 'fun', it's more built for comfy driving with a bit of go when needed with room for kids in the back...If you're bored of the S40, the XC will be even more dull....

The XC is the same demographic as the S40 + a dog

If you want something fun, get a Fiat 500 Abarth, a Renault Clio 197, Fiesta ST etc....Small, quick and designed with a chassis/suspension setup to be thrashed about.

A girl at my work has a 595 Abarth, being curious I asked her to take me out in it, it's brilliant. Hers has got the performance pack which has Koni coilovers and a whole load of extra bits - It's a hoot!
I think I'm bored of it because it doesn't have a personality...it doesn't have any quirks which require ME to adapt to it. I guess that's just how modern cars have become. The car is very fast and capable even with just an aftermarket anti-roll bar, but it doesn't feel interesting in the long term. I think Id feel the same about a Golf R despite the ludicrous performance.

The P2 S60 that I sold off last year was a much more interesting car because it required YOU to learn how to live with it. For example it was difficult for passengers to even climb into the rear seats because of the sloping roof line + no rear leg room. Yet when they DID contort themselves into the seat, it was the most comfortable seat they'd ever sat in.

Or the fact that you could fit many wooden posts (3meters) in length through the ski hatch and rest them on the dashboard, but you couldnt get a decent sized cardboard box in the boot, because the boot opening was like a letter box.

Or how you cannot drive forwards into a parking space, because the turning circle was too big.

Or how the handbrake design meant the car always rolled back slightly on inclines.

S40 just doesn't have any of these quirks, and I think that's why I'm bored with it!

Last edited by T5R92011; Aug 13th, 2019 at 17:20.
T5R92011 is online now   Reply With Quote