Thread: Wheel Change
View Single Post
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:21   #7
Deman77
Master Member

I encourage you to experiment a bit more with tyre pressures going as low as they would permit then increasing a bit at a time.

Keep in mind there are significant variations between gauges especially consumer grade ones. Also make sure to do measurements on cold tyres.

My xc90 on air on 20in conti sport was an absolute nightmare first three years of its life. I used to have awful rebound noise, terrible shaking in the rear. Then I bought a pro grade gauge and experimented with pressures and it now I am very content with ride. Actually I am moderately pleased. My only moan would be the low speed side to side wobble on bad roads but pot holes, higher speed B roads, road joins, motorways its very good (close to excellent). I topped her out on autobahn at 142 with full load and three passengers and it was never in doubt. These are very hard sidewall tyres. They simply have very narrow window where they perform. You have more room with better tyres but my suggestion would be to first get a pro grade gauge so you have consistency of measurements when you change pressure. It will cost you 30-50 quid to try and if it doesn’t work go for big spend downsize but quality gauge is always handy.