Thread: 960 II - rust?
View Single Post
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 23:01   #20
StanC
'Mature' Member

Just picked up this thread. I can echo Capt Jack about rust - my 1996 960 has absolutely no body rust that I am aware of. This is probably because I've always kept the car in a well-ventilated dry garage and every two years I top up the rustproofing using Bodyline Amber spray in the box sections and black Body Schultz on the exposed areas.

Obtaining genuine Volvo parts is now difficult and I am having to use after-market makes for things like bushes, filters and radiator. Recently it needed a new exhaust rear box/tailpipe unit and the genuine part from Volvo turned out to be a rear box/tailpipe for a 940! It had the correct part number but Volvo now no longer produce the 'old' 960 unit. What they supplied fits the car OK but it looks different. It might be the availability of good quality parts that eventually forces me to get rid of the car, which will be a pity because it's in excellent condition and runs beautifully.

Just a comment about the 2.5 litre versus 3.0 litre - the lower ratio rear axle on the 2.5 means that the engine spins faster at any given cruising speed than the 3.0, so any fuel saving from the smaller engine capacity is offset by that engine revving higher. Basically, the same size/weight lump of a car is shifted regardless of engine size, so the fuel consumption is similar - the autobox versus manual will have an effect in favour of the 2.5 of course.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post: