View Single Post
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 15:11   #25
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

SL; I'm happy to hear of significant improvement...remember, TPS adjustment and Idle Adjustment are two separate adjustments! Do not mix the two up! See: https://vcoa.org/forum/9-P1800-1800S...onic-FI-system (shown here is the older style TPS, with internal wires, but function, tests, and adjustment are substantially similar to that of the later)
From that link, here is picture of Idle Adjustment Screw:

If your Idle Adjustment Screw is damaged, I'd simply loosen jamnut to allow its removal and replacement, then proceed with idle adjustment.

Age does not cause wear, it causes surface contamination...and thanks to complete internal access, TPS can be checked functionally and surface contamination can be cleaned away and contacts can be cleaned and treated with Deoxit as I have outlined to fully restore proper function...age alone is NO REASON to replace TPS! I'd take an old, crusty TPS any day over a worn out one!!

TPS does indeed simply slide off Throttle shaft after removing retaining screws.

C1800; "...from the SWEM site)

PC board foils (especially the area where the slider sits almost forever at cruise throttle openings) if edges of conductors show excessive wear at the edges, that's the classic cause of hiccups at cruise”

This is the old (underinformed!) position I had before I undertook my indepth examination of the TPS and MaC...I have since corrected that position to note that due to the design of the supporting circuit (an edge triggered Flip-flop), wear at the edges of the alternating comb conductors is NOT/CANNOT be the cause of MaCs. From: https://www.sw-em.com/bosch_d-jetron...nformation_tps

Also from my notes:
Bad MaC Explanation No 1. Detail of the PCB dispels Bad MaC explanation No 1. and presumed cause of the MaC...that the Idle switch is somehow closing and changing fuel delivery to Idle Level while at cruise. It is clear from the picture that this in absolutely impossible...Drag Switch Idle contact may indeed close, but electrical path is open anywhere but at angular Idle position because of Slider on PCB being in series and only able to be closed when at angular Idle also...so: Idle Continuity is ONLY possible at Idle position!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote