View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:00   #10
eddie.grice

Angry Watchdog and Bevel Gear failure

Hi Speedbird800 and other 2 wheel drive XC70/90 owners.

My bevel gear or more likely the spline shaft sleeve has failed on my wifes XC90 D5 Auto S. I am at present finding out if Volvo will cover the repair. If they don't I'm up for highlighting this problem anywhere and everywhere.

WHY? This fault is caused by an extremely poorly designed component in the transmission. If it were a safety issue they would have done a full recall and re-designed the box/sleeve gear. This failure could have happened within a day of owning the car. There is NO disernible handling or drive difference unless you are on snow/ice/mud.

I remember an interview with the XC90 designer in the British auto press, who stated that the reason for the ECU not letting full torque to the transmission on pull away (the slow response to pulling away on large throttle openings from traffic lights etc) was a way of saving the transmission. I think his words were, "better the hesitation than a transmission failure" This would imply either the clutch/torque converter and or the the gearbox were not capable of carrying the huge torque from the diesel engine. The ECU effectively tries to protect it by not letting full torque to the transmission until under way.

Volvo have been fully aware of this problem since the early V70R AWD's etc just read the US forums.

Please keep us informed of any news on this item. I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Ed.
eddie.grice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eddie.grice For This Useful Post: