View Single Post
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 16:45   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
While rusting on the reluctor ring teeth can make a false profile which introduces inaccuracy into the ABS working, the killer effect of rust is when it is between the ring and the shaft. The rust expands as it increases and the force is irresistible to the point where it bursts the ring and creates a very much larger gap between the teeth where it has fractured. At that point the ABS will not function as it seems to see a stutter in the motion of the revolving ring and this is interpreted as a stuttering wheel movement which activates the ABS erratically.

Removing a cracked ring is easy because it can easily be split into two. Replacing it with a new one requires the shaft to be cleaned thoroughly and the replacement ring heated in an oven to expand it so that it easily slips onto the shaft and then contracts to hold firmly in place.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Do Volvo sell the rings separately or only prefixed to the shaft which has to be replaced. On some other marques this is the case but you can buy the separate rings on the after market. If they were stainless steel they would solve a lot of problems in the long term but I've never come across stainless versions.
yes volvo sell the rings ...