View Single Post
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 22:04   #20
John Davies
VOC Member

Default Volvo RIP

I suppose it was inevitable that economies of sale would come in sooner or later and that whatever Ford may have said when they took over the two companies are nudging closer together.

I used to buy Austin because despite badge engineering the cars were robust, well designed, capable of owner maintenance and built to last. I still have my 'last' Austin Cambridge, now forty years old and good for another forty. (It passed its MOT today so it is in my good books!)

I then switched to Volvos because alone of all car manufacturers at the time (apart from possibly Morgan!) with cars like the 144, and then 240 and 740 they were continuing to offer cars of a decent build quality and which were streets ahead of any British Leyland product (remember the Marina.......) It was rumoured at the time that when planning the 140 Volvo bought an Austin Cambridge - a good seller in Scandinavia at the time - and said 'Now let's see how we can improve on this....'

I am increasingly uninspired by the later Volvos - apart from anything else they are too technically complex - but can't see who to switch to next - perhaps I will have to keep my A60, 240 and 740 going until I finish motoring........

John Davies
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote