View Single Post
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 22:10   #16
Gazdok
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Amazing , i wonder who actualy wrote that paragraph ? It doesnt read well , and why are they quoting km in a UK Handbook ( Or on your sensus screen ) ?
Just about every volvo i have seen has tyre tread depths differing by a lot more than 1 mm .. It just isn't practical to keep moving wheels around everytime the tyre tread depths differ by more than 1 mm especialy with FWD versions ! Who is going to keep measuring them monthly and who is going to pay to have wheels swapped around a couple of times or more between services ? People generaly these days pay no attention whatsoever to their tyres , They don't check pressures from one service to another , and drive around with cords exposed on the edges ...
It certainly isnt a routine maintenance item to swap wheels around.
To be honest new tyres are needed just about every service with 18000 mile intervals , That paragraph just doesnt make sense ..

I really despair with volvo these days sometimes !
This advice in the handbook is not specific to AWD. It is general road safety advice.
It basically says that newer tyres should be on the rear as a car in tricky situations is easier to control with better tyres on the rear. Also with frequent use of RABs the outer - near side - will wear more and to even this out swap them around.
I have always swapped rotated tyres since going to a driver safety training - good stuff.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote