Thread: Amazon: - Brake System Upgrade
View Single Post
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 23:04   #16
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
That should be the one.It will bolt on to the original fixing on the hub.It does have twin pipes on it but You can just T them togther.

When I have these calipers rebuilt I cange the pistons for slightly bigger ones to give slightly better braking.
Thanks for the info classicswede. So the 4 pot calipers will bolt onto my steering knuckle, but will I be able to run my stock rotors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilline View Post
If you read through my thread you will find details of my brake caliper and rotor
upgrade

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=56733

I would be very interested in your balance bar brake pedal design. I dont think there is any room to mount the Wilwood assembly lower down. The pedal could be modified in length but that would give a ratio about 8.5:1. Is that too much?
How would you mount the Wilwood bracket? Would it fasten from above?

Thanks for the link. At this point I think I'm just going to run rebuilt stock calipers to keep it simple. At some point in the future I'd like to design a completely new front end that uses the steering knuckle from a newer car that can run a big rotor and a nice caliper, along with a custom K-member to run adjustable tubular A-arms and a rack & pinion for steering. That would be a nice upgrade.

I'm also thinking that the Wilwood assembly won't fit when mounted lower down. Most brake design articles I've read say a pedal ratio of 5:1 to 6.5:1 is the ideal range for manual brakes. Any modification of the Wilwood pedal arms would take the ratio to way over 7:1. So yeah I think the custom brake arm is the way I'm going. I'll definitely post plenty of pics and dimensions of it when I get to that point.