Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 10:53   #1695
Othen
Premier Member

Default Exhaust Back Box

I was having a look under the RB yesterday and noticed the front 2/3 of the exhaust seems to be stainless steel, but the back box is MS. It looked to be okay, but when I started the car I noticed a slight leak - where it always is with back boxes at the bottom (where the water condenses on the inside). On closer inspection I could tell the metal has become very thin indeed at that point, so I thought I'd fix it before it failed.

First I thought I might put a patch on this morn, it would not have taken long to weld a sheet over it - but once exhausts start to corrode from the inside the end is inevitable - so I thought I'd check prices for a replacement.

I'm pleased (and somewhat amazed) to report that a new Klarius rear box plus tailpipe (with a 5 year warranty) was only £36.09, and better than that Mr eBay had very kindly given me a 15% off voucher for today only that made the final ticket just 30.09 English pounds, delivered to my house.

The new box is ordered, there was no point whatsoever attempting a repair when a good replacement part was so cheap - I'll have the new box fitted this week.

I'm wondering about the chromed twin tailpipe that is fitted to the RB (see the photo above). It is obviously not standard, and when I first bought the RB it was one of the things I disliked because I thought it looked a bit naff. Over the past 7 months it has grown on me (and I've got rid of lots of really naff bits like the shark fin spoiler and the wing mirrors), so now I'm thinking that perhaps I move it to the new tailpipe when I fit it.

The twin tail seems to be pressed onto the pipe, but it looks like it would be easy enough to drill it off and re-fix it with a couple of SS rivets.

What do people think: the standard tail pipe or re-fit the flashy chrome twin affair (and perhaps keep a little of the RB's history)?

Last edited by Othen; Sep 16th, 2020 at 10:59. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: