View Single Post
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 13:23   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Then you need to trim any vinyl that is past the card edge, so that you can get metal strip back on. I then used a scrap strip of straight metal around 4-5mm thick and around 6" long to go into channel that was on a absolutely flat surface with a protecting blanket to gradually hammer open the channel further. Still wouldn’t easily go over card edge so I added a 12” steel rule alongside the metal strip, to again hammer the channel open wider.

Need to be very careful not to warp or scratch the metal strip.

After around 20 mins, channel simply went over card. Then need to work out how to re-crimp it back to the card. I used a pair of nail pulling pincers and with a hard plastic trim and removal tool over the metal strip to protect it from the pincers, I then gradually crimped strip back on the card. Seemed to work, but care is needed.

Cheers
Steve
Steve
Great write-up Steve but first, i would suggest wrapping the excess vinyl round the edge of the card and only trimming once the glass wiper channel is back on.

Talking of which, if you look very carefully, you should see some "V" shapes punched out of it to form "claws" that grip the vinyl/leather. These can be released by sliding a steel rule or similar (feeler guage of reasonable thickness) to lift the point of the V/claw then the wiper channel eased off the door card. When refitting the wiper channel, ensure the channel slides on firmly then remove it again and use a small screwdriver or similar to push the point of the V/claw back out then push the wiper channel back onto the door card - it shouldn't be crimped.

I learned this when i refurbished/upgraded the door cards on my Rover, luckily i had some spare bits to play with! Luckily i have good door cards on my 760 and definitely agree that it was poorer quality leather/vinyl coupled with eco-glue that has caused the problems on later cars. Sadly common to the entire car parc, everything seemed to go downhile from the mid-90s onwards but some had already started slipping!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: