Thread: General: 70: - Pulsating tick-over
View Single Post
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 11:26   #1
malc-c
Master Member

Default Pulsating tick-over

Hi Guys,

My '99 2.5lt 10v V70 was last used Tuesday 28th January, and then it was a short move of the car of 50 yards or so to park the car after some road works had been completed. I went to use the car Yesterday (Friday 31st January) and I got one kick on starting and then the car failed to start. It would turn, and I could smell petrol but no ignition. I left the car for 20-30 minutes and tried again, and after a rough start (as if mis-fire on one cylinder) it cleared and licked over OK and revved to the red line no problem.

I went out and tried starting the car again this morning and its started OK, but it pulses on tickover - between 1700 - 1300 RPM. I can cold the car at 2000 RPM or above with no issue, take my foot off the pedal and the revs fall to 1300 and then pulse again. Turning off and re-starting it does exactly the same.

The care is still cold so I don't know if that's the issue, but it has never fast revved on a cold start in the 13 years I've owned the car. Anyone have any ideas (crank case position sensor ????)