View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2019, 23:47   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
My 940 is the first and only car which I have owned which has headlight washer/wipers. They earned their keep a few winters ago. Driving in the dark in light but soft and wet falling snow. Headlights getting progressively dimmer between the occasional use of the windscreen wipers. Headlights returned to normal brightness after windscreen wipe. The snow had been sticking to and building up on the headlamp lenses until wiped off by the wiper.
Were the roads salty by any chance Ian?

Reason i ask is that falling snow is generally clean and the heat from the halogen bulbs inside the headlamp usually melts it.
If the roads were salty the car in front would have been throwing salt onto the lenses which bakes on to an opaque white finish reducing the light output until the melting snow is used by the wipers to clean it off.

Using LED headlamp bulbs gets round this problem nicely and the near-daylight of the LEDs (if you get good ones) cuts through the snow and fog to make it easier on your mince-pies.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: