View Single Post
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 04:06   #1
Thommykent

Default Remove Dashboard Grille

Removing the dashboard "speaker" grille out of the dash on P3 S80's ( this example is out of a '07 V8 )is fraught with ways to make a mess of your grille and dash. Do not try this with a screwdriver as you will put dents on the dash and most like it will slip and mar up the grille too.

Volvo wants you to use a special $35 tool but if you have a grinder you can make your own out of welding rod or an L shaped pick. Unfortunately you can`t use a cheap pick as it will bend from how thin it needs to be grounded. I ended grinding a Snapon

There is a picture of how thin it needs to be ground. To remove the grille, take your tool and push it down parallel with the gap at the points I have marked in silver on the grille, as this is the area with the cutout, it will stop on it`s own after 1/2 inch. Then turn it 90 degrees so it catches underneath the cutout.

Make sure to hold it firmly as you pull up. About the time you think it`s going to break a couple of clips will come loose. Then you can scoot the tool around and lift at the areas moving up. I suggest getting your fingers lifting as soon as possible to prevent damage with the tool.

First pic is the handmade tool, the next 2 are the markings where to insert the tool. Pic 4 is the cutout for the tool as you turn it 90 degrees, the other end has a cutout too. Last is the location of the clips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upl4prirTlCip536lswplg.jpg (125.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg KlTWU%fMQ8yLrfGFswOHZQ.jpg (195.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg u+4XVCNRTZi5HBGr2%BpYw.jpg (143.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_12d0.jpg (43.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_12d2.jpg (60.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Thommykent; Jul 3rd, 2018 at 04:14. Reason: description
Thommykent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thommykent For This Useful Post: