Thread: Coolant flush
View Single Post
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 07:27   #37
LPTJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post

In short. Why buy the Comma product, or Bluecol, or any other product, instead of buyng what Volvo themselves sell?

If there is a price saving, how much is that to be botheed taking time and effort for and does the non-Volvo product sometimes cost more?

Don't forget a recently reported experience with a non-Bosch temperature sender....

Hmmmm ???

FWIW it was I that reported the disappointing show from the none genuine coolant temperature sensor, however with antifreeze I take a totally different approach

Why?

Volvo coolant used to be part number 9437650 and then was superseded by 31439720, the later part number is supposed to be suitable for all modern Volvo (Ford) stuff (CX90's etc), there's no way in the world it's a traditional blue EG coolant! I suspect that it's closer to a modern OAT but given Volvo aren't clear and the bottle doesn't make clear what it is we have no real way of knowing....

At this point the nay-sayers will be shouting at their screens "Why would Volvo supply a coolant that wasn't right for our cars?" I'd suggest that these points are worth considering....

1. Volvo have a personal interest in having a 'one size fits all coolant', it saves them money to offer a single backwards compatible option, avoiding the expense of offering specific support for older vehicles that they have little involvement or financial interest in anymore.

2. Ford took over Volvo in 1999, long after the last redblock engines were produced. I suspect any of the modern engines that the current coolant is intended for have no 'yellow metals' involved in the cooling systems and I genuinely struggle to believe that coolant designed for their modern Ford based engineering is well suited to ancient redblock tractor engines!

3. Wouldn't there be consumer uproar if the modern Volvo coolant wasn't well suited for the older cars and caused problems?.... Not so much... These cars are 25 years old and more and waaaaaay out of warranty period. Problem with the heater matrix- "It's and old car Sir", Weeping head gasket- "It's an old car Sir", Corroded water channels-"It's an old car Sir", and so on. Volvo have no real incentive to care about what happens to 2/7/9 series cars anymore, those days are long gone.

The redblock engines are ancient things and were originally designed to run on Ethylene Glycol, no doubt about it, hence my decision to stick with good branded Ethylene Glycol from Comma, aimed at the classic market and change it every 2 years...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...53.m2749.l2649

EDIT: To say, this is a personal opinion and was intended to give others some insight into the decisions I've made RE antifreeze, it's not and endorsement nor a suggestion that others follow suit. You must all make your own decisions about what antifreeze suits your cars best

Last edited by LPTJoe; Dec 11th, 2018 at 07:36.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post: