Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 13:45   #51
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hi,

A nice car – looks like a good purchase and good to see you’re enjoying both fixing a few items and removing the previous owners… improvements.

Couple of things:

The ignition curve for the distributor – here is a link to an archive of Volvo service books and documents, I looked for and found a service book in the list that has various distributor curves in it when I swapped the distributor in my 1978 245 (now sold) for a later one to get rid of the points and condenser setup. With a bit of luck you’ll be able to find a curve for the distributor you have fitted and be able to compare it to the one that the engine had originally. You’ll need the serial number from the side of the distributor. Is the engine you have a B21A? If so I have the correct distributor for it which has a points setup in it, but that could (should) be replaced with an accuspark module to provide a fault-free reliable spark that doesn’t require any adjustment or maintenance. You can always keep a set of points and a condenser in the glovebox as a backup if you’re concerned the accuspark module might break (it won’t). For reference the distributor I have from a 1978 B21A is a Bosch JFU4.

https://ozvolvo.org/archive/

On the foglights/driving lights question - My 245 had foglights in the front grill and foglights on the tailgate that were connected to green switches on the dash that read ‘FOG LAMP’ and ‘REAR FOG LIGHT’. I have no reason to think the wiring was anything other than original – with the ‘FOG LAMP’ switch on, the front grill lights lit up with main beam.

Wing mounted mirrors – chances are there are just a couple of small M6? M8? Mounting holes for each one. I’d try removing one and blanking the holes with a couple of rubber grommets. As the top of the wing is black already I expect they wouldn’t be noticeable – and add to the ’40 years old and things have been added/removed over the years’ aesthetic if noticed.

And whilst typing I may as well mention - if you have any desire to swap from the automatic gearbox then let me know – I swapped my 245 from 4-speed to 5-speed and then sold the car; I’ve got a 4-speed gearbox, flywheel, clutch and propshaft in the garage.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post: