Thread: General: - E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit
View Single Post
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 17:00   #32
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

STEP 7
Summary and afterthoughts

So few days passed, did over 400kms in various conditions and day times, so I think its about time for some final words.

There is no doubt, light output now is better than on previous H7 versions. This is, however, mostly due to better light source used and not the actual difference between projectors. On close inspection, there is no noticeable differences between H7 and D2S variants of those projectors, except for the bulb base. Im not sure if bowl shape doesnt matter as much for optics when lens is involved or its because its aftermarket product and its simply "universally good but not excellent" but seem to me that light source in those can be anything and the output will still be the same. Maybe someone corrects me on that, but it looks like whatever you place inside of this generic bowl should work, as lens seem to take the whole work of "light shaping" on itself. Its just the intensity of provided light that may differs so whether its a candle, fireball Pokemon or Ironman's power source - light will be shaped the same, just with various brightness level. Thats probably why OEM D2S projectors are superior as are made specifically for one light source and optic is "cut to measure" allowing better light spread?

I have no regrets with going D2S though. Ability to use good quality bulbs over rebased nonames is a good improvement, and light output from Osram Xenarc NBU's is just amazing (supposedly brightest of all D2S). Plus black lamp mod and angel eyes done at one go - definetely worth it. There are some minor improvements aswell like better bulb seating, better light spread (again - probably due to better bulb) and a bit sharper cutoff pattern.
But I guess the bottom line is: if you plan to get aftermarket projectors - H7 and D2S versions will be equally good. Its just up to you what bulbs you wish to use and if you care about the backward compatibility with Halogen H7.

Some pics taken at various times to finish my thoughts:

Very wet night with bad quality ashphalt - driving on this road usually creates the feeling that your light is consumed by black hole. Noticeable improvement over H7 version as light intensity makes huge difference. Low beam and high beam shot.

Low beam/high beam on dry road with a bit better reflective ashphalt.

Beam pattern with visible right hand slope. Not noticeable during driving, but still present.

Vanity shot just for the sake of it

Hope you liked the story, that also concludes my light modding until laser lights are available for retrofitting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bl35.jpg (193.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg bl36.jpg (265.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg bl36b.jpg (105.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg bl37.jpg (154.0 KB, 118 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: