View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2020, 15:59   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Watch SiRobb's Youtube Video on how shimm the AC clutch on his D5...

The same fix works on P2 cars (S40 etc) with D5 or T5 engine however, access to the AC clutch on P2 cars is EVEN EASIER!... so absolutely no excuses for not at least attempting to diagnose this yourself.

I believe the AC compressor is in same location for 2.0i and 1.8i as well (AC clutch looks completely different though).

- Take off drivers side wheel
- Take off wheel arch (extremely easy to remove and replace).

You then have the AC compressor directly infront of you, with all the room you could ever need to do the fix (below screenshot from an S40 T5):

You see the "Biohazard" style metal plate that I've highlighted in red above?

Put shims/thin cable ties/thin wire undernearth the skinny rounded "arms" by the rivets. If using wire, then make sure you bend them around the "arms" so they are secured in place...you don't want them slipping out and shredding your belt.

By doing this you will push the clutch disc further inwards towards the AC pulley, thus closing up the gap... others state that 0.5mm is an ok gap.

You will need a feeler gauge to determine this.

Make sure your AC clutch does cycle in and out with a hot engine after doing this fix (ie. it should spin, then stop spinning) e.g the "biohazard" metal plate should click on, and thus start spinning, then 5-10 seconds later should click off and stop spinning again.

As I say... this is not rocket science. Do not pay somebody to fit a brand new air compressor for hundreds and hundreds of pounds, simply because the AC clutch material has worn down a little bit.... Would be like buying a whole new car because your brake pads had worn down.

Last edited by T5R92011; May 27th, 2020 at 16:51.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote