View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2022, 22:45   #57
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parknest View Post
The only thing I've towed with the XC90 is our 1994 Lunar Planet Saturn caravan which it manages with ease. I've got an A frame which I used with my previous daily driver (2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso). I've towed a few cars with it including my own BMW E36 when I went to collect it from Southport. No pictures, unfortunately.
Be careful with the A-frame as unless the towing car is registered with the DVLA as a recovery vehicle - it's treated in law as a trailer and hence unless you are towing Mini Classic - you will be over the 750Kg weight limit above which all wheels on the trailer in contact with the ground must have brakes operated by an overrun coupling.

Most Plod seem to not understand or turn a blind eye to this but I have heard of DVSA pulling vehicles and issue prohibition notices at motorway services etc. An E36 will likely be double the un-braked limit. There is an exception when it is being used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety (but not a spares/repairs purchase to your home...)

The plus side to this would be if you are towing a Mini with an A-frame, it doesn't need tax, MOT or insurance as in that configuration it is not a motor vehicle...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 10th, 2022 at 22:56.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: